How to Make Caramelized Onions (in a slow cooker!)
Caramelized onions have a great, sweet flavor with just a little onion-y kick. They are great on pizza, in frittatas or omelets, on salads or part of grilled veggie sides… so many great uses! Usually, they are quite labor intensive, but the slow cooker makes these really simple.
1. Remove the ends of the onions, as well as the paper skins.
2. Cut the onions into rings, about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
3. Layer the onions in a slow cooker. Add 3/4 cup olive oil or 1 stick butter.
4. Set slow cooker to low heat for 12-14 hours. Onions should be soft and brown.
5. Can be stored in an air tight container in the excess cooking liquid, or drained and used immediately.