How to Carve a Watermelon Basket
1. Balance the watermelon on its long axis.
2. Using a marker, draw a line slightly above the midpoint around the circumference of the melon.
3. In the approximate center, draw two vertical lines to create a basket handle.
4. Taking a sharp carving knife. cut around the lines, removing 2 quarters from the top of the melon.
4. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the flesh of the watermelon from the inside of the watermelon.
5. Remove the fruit from the bottom half of the melon. I used a melon baller, but you could also cut larger pieces if you are planning to cut it into chunks.
6. Use a sharp spoon to smooth out the remaining rind.
7. Using a paper towel and a small amount of rubbing alcohol, remove any marker that remains on the outside of the fruit.
8. Refill the watermelon with desired fruit salad mixture.